Thursday, April 17, 2014

Spring has Sprung

Ah.....Springtime.  When a young man's fancy turns to love.  And it turns right outside my door.

I teach engineering, and the school has provided me with an entire building for my young engineers, with computers and woodworking tools and lots of storage closets.  (Pay no attention to that walled up door.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.)  Unfortunately, the walkway between my building and the main school seems to be make-out central.  I don't spend a lot of time in my office during the school day, but on my planning period, I can look out my office window and see the young people chewing on each other's faces like two seals fighting over a grape.  As soon as I can get to the Target, I'm going to buy a super soaker water gun and see if a little cool water with dampen their ardor.

It is springtime, and the weather is getting warmer.  Consequently, this means clothes are getting more revealing.  This has an entirely different connotation on a 13 year old than it has on a 21 year old.  I'm beginning to see little girls wearing stuff that I see on the television being paraded around the club scene.  The clothes that the parents send their kids to school wearing are being changed in the bathroom.  The shorts are rolled up, the shirts are pulled down at the neck and the spring mating dance of the middle school is in full force.

This is a touchy subject for a teacher.  I really don't feel comfortable imposing my own morals on someone else.  On the other hand, if I can't teach because every boy in class is watching a young woman bounce across class to get a tissue, that is an issue that must be dealt with.

I don't know what to do.  It's testing season, so we can't send them home.  Parents have to work, so if you call them to come bring their child more appropriate clothes, you are met with resistance at best, and hostility at worst.  Some parents are still convinced that their baby is 8 years old.  Folks, the cute little clothes on an 8 year old have a whole different meaning than they do on a 14 year old.

"But they are a good girl.  They are just expressing themselves."  Yes.  Of course they are.  I never ever ever under any circumstances mean to impugn the morals of any of my students.  I love my students.  This is one of the reasons I am so concerned.

If you dress your child like a sexual target, then that is what they are going to be.  Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment