Sunday, May 3, 2015

Keep Moving Forward

I have spent the past year searching.  A long time.  A year.

I have spent the past 12 years as a classroom teacher, and a few years ago, I decided that it was time for me to make the leap to administration.  I love kids.  I love teaching.  But I also love the thought of helping to set a school culture and helping teachers and guiding kids and impacting lives that you can sometimes only do from the main office.  I didn't make this decision lightly, and I didn't make this decision because I am burned out in the classroom.  Far from it.  I think I have just hit my stride.  Good time for a change.

As I finish my internship process and start to go on interviews for Assistant Principal positions, I have discovered something that was surprising to me.  It doesn't feel like I'm looking for a job.  It feels like I am looking for a family.  Like the character from one of my favorite movies, I have been on quite a few "adoption" interviews.




And like the character from the movie, I have gotten a lot of rejection letters.  And emails.  And phone calls.  For some reason, I haven't found a position yet.  It's a lot of work, on top of my current teaching duties, my internship and my full time grad school classes.



Yet, with every interview I get, I learn something.  I get to meet new people.  I'm making contacts that, regardless of whether I actually get a position in that district, will be valuable down the road.  I'm enjoying the process, and trying not to get too stressed about whether or not I will or will not find a position for next year.



With every interview, I try to put as much of myself in the interview as possible.  Yes, I know that flies against traditional wisdom.  You want the interviewer to project what they are looking for onto you, and like you so they will give you the job.



But it occurred to me that somewhere out there is a Principal who is already looking for someone just like me.  They are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and ready to do just about anything to be a positive impact on the lives of the kids.  Someone is looking for an Assistant Principal who's first thought is not "suspension" but support.  Somewhere out there is a school that is looking for a positive new member for their family.



Now all I have to do is find them....and keep moving forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment